Brief Update on the Information Technology Classification Study and Introduction to WordPress
- We don't have a topic scheduled yet for next month, but we will get something scheduled. Ed Murphy is scheduled to present about AppScan in April.
- We will be posting the meeting topics survey results on the UA Web Developers Group website soon. We will also be drawing for the free t-shirt at the end of the meeting today.
Brief Update on the Information Technology Classification Study
Presenter: Christy Drake, HR
- Human Resources is currently in the feedback stage of the IT Classification Study. They had 36 sessions and created 43 job descriptions: some are new; some have been revised/updated.
- HR is very interested in receiving your feedback on these descriptions. You will need to use your UA NetID and password to log into the site: http://www.hr.arizona.edu/itcs_feedback.
- They want to know who is giving the feedback, so that you can be contacted if they have questions. Your comments will not be shared outside of Human Resources.
- The deadline for feedback is Thursday, 2/12/09 at 5:00 PM. If you miss the deadline on the website and would still like to comment, please send an email to either Christy Drake (email@example.com) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- They will be reviewing comments and the next step will be finalizing the classification descriptions, establishing pay grades and then publishing an implementation plan.
Introduction to WordPress
Presenters: Scott Fiddelke, External Relations and Matthew Munsey, the College of Fine Arts
- Full Presentation (see attachment below)
- It is a content management system that started as a blogging system.
- It uses a MySQL database.
- Very easy to install (a one-button install).
- You can set the dashboard up the way you want it. The dashboard is an overview – what you see when you first log in.
- They reviewed Posts, Pages, Links, User Administration, Plug-ins, Themes, Widgets, and Tools.
- Many hosting companies offer WordPress.
- Go to wordpress.com and set up a free account to test it out.
- For multiple sites, go to mu.wordpress.org.
UA Website Redesign Update
Presenter: Scott Fiddelke, External Relations
- Scott showed mock-ups of the new home page and also a 3rd tier page.
- It will be built on Drupal with custom pieces added.
- Launch is still scheduled for spring break.
- Drupal themes will be available for departments to use. CSS and images will also be available for those who don't use Drupal.
- Check out redesign.arizona.edu for more updates in the near future.
- Stefan Walz from COM ITS was drawn as the winner of the t-shirt for completing the meeting topics survey.