Google Analytics (Oct. 9, 2013)
Presenter: Ginger Bidwell
Questions and Answers
Q: Obsessed with Analytics - what do you tell a client who hits their own webpage over and over and then is disappointed to not see those clicks on the GA report? (Note: the recorder of these minutes knows EXACTLY WHO THIS IS)
A: These things may help:
- Pageviews and other metrics may not show up in the reports until the next day
- Show the client the "Watch Traffic Live" report: right under Standard Reports, select Real Time, then one of the options below there. (Overview will show Returning versus New)
- Because clicks from the same user don't register as unique, direct the client to Pageviews rather than Unique Pageviews.
- Be aware of domain-name issues - you may have to set up separate Views/Profiles if the site is available under multiple domains.
Q: Events - could we hear more details about tracking events? How do you get event tracking into the embedded code?
A: Check these pages at GA for more info about the embed code:
In Drupal, you use the GA module configuration to set up event tracking.
Q: Could you distinguish filters and advanced segments again?
A: With advanced segments you can look at your historical data. With filters you can't.
Also, ALWAYS keep one profile/view that has NO FILTERS or you will lose data.
Announcements at this meeting:
- Mobile Matters Symposium, Oct. 21, all day
Save the date and RSVP for the next Mobile Matters Symposium, October 21, 2013, in the SUMC Grand Ballroom.
- Responsive Design Working Group, Oct. 23, 2pm
We are having another meeting of the Responsive Design Working Group on Oct 23rd at 2pm at the Computer Center, room 303 – Innovation Station. This meeting will be an open discussion of current projects and topics for future meetings.
- Site-in-a-Box User Meeting, Oct. 28, 3-5pm
This first meeting for site owners or anyone interested in Site-in-a-Box will include a demo on Using Site-in-a-Box for Events and Registration followed by Q&A, networking, and discussion of topics for future meetings.
Mon, Oct 28 3-5pm SU Ventana Room