HTML5: A Semantic Web
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
- Charter ratified
- Elections - Chair (Cheri Darling) and Secretary (Mike Hagedon) - no contest
Presentation: HTML5: A Semantic Web
Presenter: Matt Munsey
- See attached PDF for full presentation.
- Markup: A Brief History
- Doctype: <!DOCTYPE html>
- Root element: <html lang=´en´>
- Semantics: New elements!
- <header> (for page, column, section, etc.)
- <hgroup> (heading groups)
- <video> - embed video in a page without plugins. Unfortunately, the browsers support different codecs.
- Other features:
- Local storage
- Canvas: mugtug.com
- Local Storage: http://people.w3.org/mike/localstorage.html
- Geolocation: http://maxheapsize.com/static/html5geolocationdemo.html
- Q: Can XHTML syntax be used with HTML5?
- A: There is an XHTML5 which allows for that.
- Prepping for HTML5:
- Start using the new element name as class names to allow for easy replacement later.
- Q: Will Style sheets work the same way?
- A: Yes. See CSS media queries.